We The People

We The People

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

God, Country and Family

By Tammy Derouin

I walked into the theatre anticipating a mental struggle.  I was aware of the Chris Kyle story so watching American Sniper would be difficult.   Scenes of brutality and the reality of the real war being waged on America was about to be plastered on the big screen. 

Getting through movies with difficult scenes is easier to shake when you know the story is fictional.  Hollywood works its magic but in the end, it was all make believe.  I watched several previews as I waited.  Special effects are amazing but when they overshadow and become larger than the original storyline and replace human reality, the substance and integrity of the message are lost.

The true special effects in American Sniper weren’t the results of actions; the human reality was the special effect.  War is hell.  People suffer and die violent deaths.  What each of our soldiers must endure on the battlefield, what he witnesses and is sometimes helpless to prevent, will have a deep and lasting effect on him. 

Images, much like certain nightmarish dreams, are powerful.  They stick with you no matter how much you want to pretend you didn’t see them.  I felt somewhat prepared for what I would encounter because I often read about the brutality of our enemy.  I’ve willingly subjected myself to videos and images to better understand what America is up against.  Those images do not disappear. 

I, however, have the privilege to determine when or if I look at such a horrific subject.  Those decisions are made in the safety and comfort of my own home.  This is due to the sacrifices made by every American soldier.  How much longer will it be before the American people wake in terror to sounds and images which right now only take place on the big screen or, over there?

This film affected me deeply not only because I love and cherish my freedom and my country but because of events which have taken place, decisions and sacrifices which had to be made, and decisions we will need to make right now and in the very near future if we want to survive as a free and independent country.

The personal affect is also a special effect.  As a person who believes that everything happens for a reason, hearing certain phrases and seeing certain images served as reinforcement that our nation, our values, our freedoms and liberties are indeed worth defending; God, country and family.

Our enemy is very real, despite the lack of concern shown by our government.  Their ideology uses extreme fear for extreme control.  Death is ordered for simply not believing as they do.  Savage butchery is their weapon.   They do not value human life, not even the lives of their own people. 

Their ideology cannot co-exist with the American way of life.  It is a stark contrast to the U.S. Constitution.  We, as Americans, need to make decisions.  Are we going to bow, as our leader does, to our enemy or are we going to open our eyes and see the evil heading our way?

America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles.  Why is the executive opening the gates to our enemy and their religion, one which calls for the destruction of America?  While, at the same time, there is an assault on Christians and our basic freedoms in the United States.  The government leads the charge.

I recently heard a very good argument.  The executive and his comrades claim Islam is separate from their evil deeds.  However, when they become prisoners, their whole life revolves around Islam.  Our government caters to their every desire.  It’s worth contemplating.

Americans who criticize America and the military refuse to look at reality.  They have taken their freedoms for granted, so much so that they are willing to give them away.  Our soldiers protect their right to be who they want to be in life.  If that means they choose to be uninformed about reality, hypocritical and applaud away their freedom, they should go thank a soldier.  One day, reality may knock on their door, who will they call?

Chris Kyle is an American hero.  The reality of his mission in life, tied with the reality of our future as Americans, came rushing towards me as light filled the theatre.  Everyone quietly exited but I was unable to move.  The lady sitting in front of me noticed my struggle.  She offered me a hug and then sat with me as we talked for a few moments.  She walked with me, as her husband patiently followed.  Her kindness and compassion were heartwarming.  I didn’t know why I asked her name at the time, but I do now.  Thank you, Angie.

“Savage, despicable evil.  That’s what we were fighting in Iraq.  That’s why a lot of people, myself included, called the enemy ‘savages.’  There really was no other way to describe what we encountered there.”

Chris Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment